Saturday, December 26, 2009
Thursday, August 21, 2008
If you have an HP ML350 G5 and use the SmartStart disk to install SBS 2003 R2 and you get this error when you run the CEICW (Connect to the Internet Wizard), check this location in the Registry, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\ZoneMap.
If the ZoneMap key is not under InternetSettings, add it. It seems that the HP SmartStart cd removes this key and it is needed when you run the wizard because it adds entries into the IE security zones. It is also setting the "Require server verification (https for all sites in this zone" checkbox on the local intranet zone.
Thanks to Mariette Knap with the Small Business Support Forum for letting us know.
Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Having a car dealership for a customer certainly has its perks at times, and this is one of those times. I was lucky enough to be on-site when the truck arrived to deliver the new GT-R. Below are the pictures I was able to snap. Try not to drool...
Sunday, July 27, 2008
If you're like me and have suffered with your SBS Sharepoint Companyweb not working after the 948110 SQL update, take a look at this as a possible solutions.
My customer had SBS 2003 R2 Premium with SQL 2005 installed but we never upgraded the Sharepoint from MSDE. The update that was installed broke my customers site, like so many others. All the info I read on the web and at the SBS Blogs said to "Perform the upgrade again to SQL Server 2000..." so instead of going through all that, I figured I would just upgrade the MSDE to SQL 2005 for Sharepoint. Thanks to the wonderful M&M's for publishing this article on how to upgrade Sharepoint to SQL 2005. It worked like a charm and I am now able to get back to my companyweb.
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Essential Business Server (EBS) demo with Bjorn Media TechNet Edge:
Friday, July 18, 2008
If you ever have a Windows Smart Phone stop syncing all of a sudden, here is something you might want to look in to.
I have a customer that uses smart phones on Verizon and syncs wirelessly to their SBS Exchange using OMA. Two days ago it stopped working out of the blue. What was weird was they have multiple phones and some worked and some didn't. There was no explanation. There were no updates or applications installed on the server for a few weeks. The ones that did not work would time out with a 0x85010005 error. After many hours of research and not finding any good information I decided to call Microsoft Support.
A few more hours later we finally figured it out. For some reason there was a service that was installed at some point called FAMv4 which was a FAMv4 mini-filter driver. It is a part of the ScriptLogic FileSystem Auditor Service. The support rep said there had been many calls with the same issue and they had found that this service was blocking http requests on the server. The key is located at HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/FAMv4. The entry you want to change is Start. The default value is 1. If you change it to 4, it will turn off the filter. Once that is done, reboot.
Seems the filter was blocking our phone connections to the OMA. Why it started all of a sudden I will never know.
I searched Microsoft's Support site and found no KB about this, so I hope anyone that has this issue happen can benefit from the many hours I spent on the phone.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
In the past I have relied on Sybex books and Exam Cram's to study for a Microsoft test. The next test I am taking is 70-290 and for this one I decided to try a CBT from Preplogic. So far I find it very helpful and worth every penny.
I also take practice tests from Transcender and feel that with the CBT and the practice test I will be able to pass with no problem. I guess we will find out next week and I will let you know how it goes.