Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cannot Access CompanyWeb After Installing 948110

If you're like me and have suffered with your SBS Sharepoint Companyweb not working after the 948110 SQL update, take a look at this as a possible solutions.

My customer had SBS 2003 R2 Premium with SQL 2005 installed but we never upgraded the Sharepoint from MSDE. The update that was installed broke my customers site, like so many others. All the info I read on the web and at the SBS Blogs said to "Perform the upgrade again to SQL Server 2000..." so instead of going through all that, I figured I would just upgrade the MSDE to SQL 2005 for Sharepoint. Thanks to the wonderful M&M's for publishing this article on how to upgrade Sharepoint to SQL 2005. It worked like a charm and I am now able to get back to my companyweb.

SBS 2008 Migration demo and interview

Check out this video of Chris Almida talking about the new SBS 2008 migration paths.
http://edge.technet.com/Media/SBS-2008-Migration-demo-and-interview/

Technorati Tags: ,

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friday, July 18, 2008

Smart Phone's not syncing? Activesync Support Code: 0x85010005

If you ever have a Windows Smart Phone stop syncing all of a sudden, here is something you might want to look in to.

I have a customer that uses smart phones on Verizon and syncs wirelessly to their SBS Exchange using OMA. Two days ago it stopped working out of the blue. What was weird was they have multiple phones and some worked and some didn't. There was no explanation. There were no updates or applications installed on the server for a few weeks. The ones that did not work would time out with a 0x85010005 error. After many hours of research and not finding any good information I decided to call Microsoft Support.

A few more hours later we finally figured it out. For some reason there was a service that was installed at some point called FAMv4 which was a FAMv4 mini-filter driver. It is a part of the ScriptLogic FileSystem Auditor Service. The support rep said there had been many calls with the same issue and they had found that this service was blocking http requests on the server. The key is located at HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/FAMv4. The entry you want to change is Start. The default value is 1. If you change it to 4, it will turn off the filter. Once that is done, reboot.

Seems the filter was blocking our phone connections to the OMA. Why it started all of a sudden I will never know.

I searched Microsoft's Support site and found no KB about this, so I hope anyone that has this issue happen can benefit from the many hours I spent on the phone.

Enjoy.